Website Xoomworks Technology
Company & Department Context
Financial Times in partnership with Xoomworks have established a research and development centre in Sofia, Bulgaria.
The Financial Times (FT) is one of the world’s leading business news and information organisations. We are recognised globally for our authority, integrity and accuracy. We provide a broad range of essential services, including news, comment, data and analysis, to the growing audience of internationally minded business people.
We think the Financial Times is a great place to work: we have a technical stack that is cutting edge – employing cloud-based, microservices architectures and using a wide range of open source and commercial technologies; our product development methodologies are very current – using a data driven approach, empowering everyone to understand and to delight our customers; our engineers are free to choose the tools they need and are able to influence the development process. Importantly, we ensure staff also have the ability to achieve a good work life balance.
An exciting opportunity for a senior engineer to join the Product & Technology department, of a growing business and a globally recognised brand. Working in teams with Sofia, you will be responsible for delivering innovative technical solutions as you build and operate world class platforms to grow the Financial Times strategic business models.
We have a golden opportunity to renew our technology estate, to use best practices and to build a modern sustainable technology stack that will underpin the success of the business for years to come.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
● Help with technical decision-making to support the technology strategy
● Aid and support personal development of more junior team-members
● Develop and maintain an understanding of the business domains within FT
Specialist. Use that understanding to shape the development of the platforms
● Work within the department’s strategy and guardrails, and contribute to their
● Have a practical approach to working with a large portfolio of products that
leverage a diverse range of technologies.
● Communicate widely within the organisation to ensure best practice in other
areas is understood and adopted where it makes sense to do so.
Essential skills and experience
● Extensive experience using the wide range of technologies and patterns required
to build modern web products and services along with the tools that enable their
creation. From CDNs, networking, cloud infrastructure and databases through to
performance tuning and optimisation.
and React or backend with NodeJS or PHP
● Experience with the tooling, monitoring, and engineering that enables highly
fault tolerant systems in cloud environments.
● Writing automated unit and end-to-end tests – with best practice in mind – for
● Ability to clearly reason about and articulate reasoning behind technical
trade-offs (e.g. red/blue technical debt)
● Able to balance the customer and business product needs with those needed to
build high quality products.
● Understand the importance of diversity and equality in a well functioning team
● Be able to communicate clearly and concisely
Desirable skills and experience
● An understanding of modern front-end development
● Have built software using the 12 factor methodology
● You have an understanding of design and UX principles.
● Understanding of web technologies, their strengths and weaknesses, and their
impact on users in performance and accessibility.
● Instrumenting for observability and operability