Company & Department Context
Financial Times in partnership with Xoomworks have established a research and development centre in Sofia, Bulgaria.
The Financial Times (FT) is one of the world’s leading business news and information organisations. We are recognised globally for our authority, integrity and accuracy. We provide a broad range of essential services, including news, comment, data and analysis, to the growing audience of internationally minded business people.
We think the Financial Times is a great place to work: we have a technical stack that is cutting edge – employing cloud-based, microservices architectures and using a wide range of open source and commercial technologies; our product development methodologies are very current – using a data driven approach, empowering everyone to understand and to delight our customers; our engineers are free to choose the tools they need and are able to influence the development process. Importantly, we ensure staff also have the ability to achieve a good work life balance.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Work directly with product owners and senior stakeholders to fully shape solutions from
inception to deployment and beyond
- Work within (with an opportunity to lead) a team of engineers in an agile delivery team
- Development of high quality data solutions within Financial Times’ Data Platform
- Design and implement low maintenance, well monitored, secure and scalable solutions to
- Design, build and operate solutions, from cradle to grave, which meet both functional and
- Understand and play an active part in designing the architecture, tooling and release cycle
processes used by the engineering teams across Product & Technology
- Contribute to company-wide processes, frameworks and guidelines
- Develop an in-depth understanding of FT’s underlying data and data flow, data structures.
- Develop a close relationship with our customers and provide operational support
- 5+ years of prior experience in similar positions
- Extensive experience in a Data Engineer/Data Warehouse Development role involving
hands-on experience in data warehousing/data technologies/business intelligence within a
significantly-sized DW/BI project.
- Experience in modern database technologies (AWS/cloud-based/in-memory etc.), scripting
languages, big data technologies.
- Experience working with data sources of varying volumes, variety and velocity
- Experience in designing and developing ETL solutions using both out-of-the-box ETL
vendor technologies and SQL
- Highly proficient in at least one of the programming languages relevant to Data at the FT:
Python, Java, SQL
- Will have a track record of delivering well engineered solutions using current technologies
and best practices such as SOLID, TDD, CI/CD and pair programming
- An active member of the broader technology community with an understanding of current
- Experience working as part of an Agile delivery team, using methodologies like Scrum and
- Good understanding of the principles and trade-offs of a microservices architecture
- Good working experience of at least one cloud infrastructure, ideally AWS
- Comfortable working in a Linux environment
- Good command of written and spoken English