Company & Department Context
Financial Times in partnership with Xoomworks are establishing a research and development centre in Sofia, Bulgaria.
One of the world’s leading global business news publishers, the Financial Times is recognised as innovators within the media industry, pioneering successful new digital models. FT.com’s innovative business model has made it one of the world’s most successful digital news operations, with over 800,000 paying customers. FT Technology is at the centre of FT’s success.
FT Technology is organised to align to an empowerment model with a focus on delivery within a number of specific groups. These groups are:
- FT Core – Platforms to enable our products to run
- FT Customer Products – products to commercialise FT journalism
- FT Group Products – products to enable commercialisation of non FT journalism, Nikkei Products and new early life cycle products
- Internal Products – products to enable editorial and business delivery
- Enterprise services and Security to enable our platforms and products
- Operations and Reliability to support our operations and the developers experience
- Professional services supporting the commercialisation of our know-how
These groups collaborate with each other, operating within a central framework comprised of technology vision, strategy, principles and governance. Each group has:
- A Technical Director who is a single technical voice for the teams to align behind.
- A Head of Product who is a single strategic voice for the business outcomes they will work towards.
- A Head of Delivery, who is there to ensure a healthy environment exists within the domain so that delivery is not only possible, but also made visible and is executed as efficiently and effectively as possible.
The technical platform underlying FT Core comprises more than 200 services across content publishing, membership and data domains and is the engine that drives the FT’s award winning web site, the management of more than 900 thousand subscribers across print and digital products, as well the enterprise data warehouse for strategic data insight.
You will be responsible for delivering value, fostering teamwork, measuring the team’s work, and removing any obstacles impeding delivery. With your clear, adaptive and transparent communication skills, you will facilitate teams to create vision and consensus. Finally you will be responsible for creating transparency for the stakeholders through communication and engagement.
This is a Programme Manager level position within the Delivery Management organisation and will report directly to the Programme Director.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
As Head of Delivery, Your responsibility is to drive delivery across your group.
- Deliver value – Work with the Technical Director and Head of Product Management to ensure that products & services are delivered effectively by teams across your domain to realise measurable benefits
- Facilitate teams – Resolve conflict and disagreement. Lead workshops. Remove distractions and impediments that hold your teams back. Help them make decisions. Promote continuous improvement, clarity and empowerment
- Champion quality - Technical standards, service management, agile quality management practices and principles
- Create transparency – Clearly communicate and measure vision, schedule and progress, both within and outside of the teams
- Build good governance – Manage and monitor budget, resources, and risks, proactively plan and take corrective action where necessary
- Create vision and value – Work with Technical Director and Head of Product Management to define, shape and prioritise the vision, goals, initiatives and outcomes – seeking value, avoiding complexity.
- Manage 3rd parties – Manage and collaborate with 3rd parties to ensure they deliver as effectively as possible and to ensure that contracts are structured appropriately
- Build community – Work to improve the FT’s Agile capability. Foster Agile knowledge, the supporting community and tools across the organisation
- Grow and nurture talent – Line manage, develop and organise all members of the Delivery Management team within the domain to promote team health and a focus on delivering against measurable outcomes
Person Specification (Candidate Profile):
You have in depth experience and understanding of:
- Digital product and platform development
- Lean/agile principles and multiple methodologies
- Coaching agile teams and individuals, workshop facilitation and structured problem solving
- Pan business stakeholder management experience
- Managing delivery and priorities using measurable business outcomes
- Financial management of multimillion £ budgets, ideally with a PMO
- Managing programmes of multiple globally distributed teams, including 3rd party suppliers with high cost contracts
- Managing and developing other Delivery Management staff
- Obsessed with value, measurement, teamwork and removing any obstacles impeding delivery. You love communicating with people, facilitating teams, creating vision and consensus. You also have a keen sense of stakeholder communication, engagement and creating transparency.
- You are therefore:
- Enthusiastic, proactive and able to resolve conflict – individuals and teams
- Able to steer a programme towards self-organisation
- Able to quickly understand business domains and assess genuine business value
- A clear, adaptive and transparent communicator
- Bold and strategic – not afraid of failing, but afraid of not failing fast enough
- Proactive and an accomplished influencer – ability to negotiate with other programmes and teams to deliver work packages to fixed deadlines.
- Able to manage and track work, dependencies, risks and issues across multiple streams and programmes
- Comfortable with spoken and written English
In return we’ll give you:
- Private healthcare
- Meal tickets
- Gym subscription
- 25 days holiday
The Financial Times Ltd. committed to equality of opportunity. We are determined to create a diverse group at all levels of our Company and we welcome all members of the community we serve to apply for openings with us.