- 97% by value of spend is now non-maverick and supported by pre-approved purchase orders
- Significant fixed cost savings from increase in the use of e-invoicing by Wintershall’s suppliers
- Better sourcing of products and services is delivering value for Wintershall Dea
- Reduced procurement staff costs compared to Wintershall Dea’s previous outsourced service
- Supplier engagement increased through use of Coupa Supplier portal, reducing manual effort invoicing queries
About the Client
Wintershall Dea is Europe’s leading independent natural gas and oil company with more than 120 years of experience as an operator and project partner along the entire E&P value chain. The company with German roots and headquarters in Kassel and Hamburg explores for and produces gas and oil in 13 countries worldwide in an efficient and responsible manner. With activities in Europe, Latin America and the MENA region (Middle East & North Africa), Wintershall Dea has a global upstream portfolio and, with its participation in natural gas transport, is also active in the midstream business.
The merger of its predecessor companies presented many challenges to the business, not least the uncertainty created by the necessary restructuring and reorganisation within the resulting organisation. Legacy systems and processes were over complex, supported by over 20 different applications and three SAP ERP environments with many add-ons. The nature of Wintershall Dea’s business meant that spend was very diverse, using many channels and often involving complex purchases. To drive the opportunities for savings from the merger Wintershall Dea decided to consolidate the ERP environment into a single SAP instance and a single Source to Pay (S2P) solution. “We needed to align our two businesses and simplify our procurement operations with a single S2P platform, maximising the financial benefits made possible by the merger,” says Jan Van Hueth, VP Supply Chain Governance, Processes & Tools at Wintershall Dea.
Several factors influenced Wintershall Dea’s selection of the Coupa S2P solution, including:
- Its simple, intuitive user interface, which would drive adoption
- Ease of set-up, with out-of-the-box standardisation, based on tried and tested best practices
- 100% cloud-based platform, with 3 updates per year provided by Coupa
- A strong user community, enabling sharing of ideas and solutions
- Ease of extensibility and scaling with the business
- A customer-focused ethos within Coupa, partnering with client for the long term
Xoomworks Procurement’s long experience and strengths in engagement leadership, analytics and IT architecture were critical to its selection as Wintershall Dea’s implementation partner.
“We found that Xoomworks Procurement was the ideal partner as its One Team culture and methodology were a great fit with both us and Coupa”Jan Van Hueth, VP Supply Chain Governance, Processes & Tools at Wintershall Dea
Download our client story to learn how Xoomworks Procurement helped WinterShall Dea during their merger